Note

NOTE: Most recent posts are shown first. Please use navigation at right to start at the beginning (December 2014)

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Wipers, seat belts, engine bay

Got a few more things figured out.  I had been planning to use a mid 80's ranger wiper motor due to the size of the Crown Vic unit, but after working with it some more I was able to make it fit the wiper motor plate.
There's a small piece of the wiper linkage that attaches to the motor shaft.  I cut the old and new pieces in half and then welded them together so it could connect to the new motor and the old linkage.  Here's the view of the wiper motor in place:




I was worried when I powered it up, thought it might start off the wrong direction or be the wrong amount of travel for the truck wires, but it worked perfectly.  I had to adjust the wiper arms slightly to get it perfect but now I have intermittent wipers that park, controlled off the wiper stalk.  Amazing.

With this done I finished up some wiring-  ran the wires to the rear ABS sensors, routed the rest of the wiring harness through the passenger side firewall.  I'm planning on driving it a bit this weekend so I installed seat belts as well.  Here's the state of the interior right  now:


Next I turned to the engine compartment.  The stock Vic airbox was too big to fit anywhere so I went with a cone filter.  Here's a shot of the state of the engine bay:


It was quite a mess in there, so I cleaned up the bulk of the dust and started routing the wiring harnesses.  The power distribution box is not in it's final spot as I need to get a longer positive batter cable:


I think it's starting to look pretty decent in there!  I found a plastic engine cover as well, it's on the way.  Normally I hate plastic engine covers but I think in this case it would highlight the fact that I have more modern engine in there.

With the bulk of the work in the bay wrapped up I put the hood back on as well.  Unfortunately it was getting dark so I didn't get a picture of that yet.
The rest of this week I'm going to work on some minor stuff, changing up the headlights a bit and going to see about getting front turn signals in operation.

The next big update will come after the weekend.... I'm taking it over to Troy's work for a day and we should be able to get the steps installed, change the brake pedal placement, and maybe even change up the exhaust.  I plan to make a video at that time recapping all the work so far, it's hard to capture everything in just pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment