Note

NOTE: Most recent posts are shown first. Please use navigation at right to start at the beginning (December 2014)

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Project Background

First off, let me say this project is WAY beyond my abilities.  Luckily I have two things going for me- my good friend Troy is helping out (really doing most of the work) and my stepson James is working on the project as well.  Troy has restored or built a variety of cars over the years, knows pretty much everything automotive/mechanical, and can build nearly anything you can imagine.  James adds the seemingly limitless energy of youth as well as his own developing set of fabrication skills.  I'm leading the electrical portion and whatever else my basic mechanical skills can handle.

Last summer I decided I wanted a classic truck project.  Something I could take to cruise-ins with my wife, Crystal, and my younger son, Justin.  Not a show car, just something cool to cruise in that could do double duty hauling stuff for home improvement projects and whatnot.

Late July I decided on a '60 F100 and James, Justin and I spent all day hauling it home. My plans were to get it running/driving decent, lower it a bunch, and just drive it.  I was able to get the old 223 six running great (with Troy's help & advice of course) and drove it around for a while.  I loved the three on the tree, but the front end needed a lot of work to drive safely and I started researching alternatives... The Crown Vic front end swap seemed pretty appealing- a very cheap way to get lower, power steering, big disk brakes, and a comfortable ride.  I looked around for a front end for a while with no luck, but then started looking at whole cars.  After some research and talking with Troy he said he would help me swap in the whole drivetrain.  That sounded like a pretty sweet project, so I found a good deal on an '03 Vic and brought it home in late October.  
I drove the Vic around a bit and was surprised at the ride and handling.  For a big boat car they ride and corner pretty darn good.  I got to thinking I'd really like that four link rear with the watt's linkage.  Then I got to thinking some more (always dangerous) and realized I'd be taking the front suspension, rear suspension with some of the frame, engine, trans... Why not just take the WHOLE chassis & drive train?  More research was done, Troy figured out how to get past most of the obstacles, and the decision was made.  Swap the 1960 F100 onto the Vic chassis, keeping all Vic electronics including climate control if possible.
For a little over a month not much happened.  I stripped some parts off the Vic here and there, stripped the carpet/rear seats/trunk down, Troy came over and started some early dis-assembly on components under the hood, but we were kind of on hold waiting for an opportunity to work on it at Troy's work (James works there as well).  There is a lot of room there, and a lot of equipment you wouldn't find in a home shop.
In the first few days of December an opportunity arose, and Troy had a week of shop time arranged at his work starting 12/6.  The project is on, like right now!

A couple pictures before it goes under the knife...






No comments:

Post a Comment